Optional Content Header
The Encinal Yacht Club was founded in 1890 by a group of boating enthusiasts to insure the continuation of recreational sailing and boating on the San Francisco Bay. The original burgee portrayed the single blue star on a white triangular field with red swallow tails.
About 1910, the burgee was changed to the current pennant shape. This original burgee was recreated for our centennial and a few may be seen now. You may also see an Encinal burgee with a field of blue along the staff with three white stars. These are given, each year, to the retiring Commodore in recognition of his or her service to the club.
From its inception until the mid 1950's, the club was located on the bay side of Alameda Island on a pier. Post war landfill operations forced a relocation. In about 1960, the current two story building was built. It has been extensively remodeled over the past ten years.
During 1996, we added a grand new entry and the long promised elevator to the main club floor. We have modernized the small boat hoist, shoring up the hoist dock and adding a hoist capable of launching boats up to a J-24 in size.
The Club recently finished a complete remodeling of its kitchen, dining room and meeting facilities in February, 2003.

Contact the Webmaster

Merchant ships moored in the Estuary.

Sailing on the Estuary.

The original EYC club house.